Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Embellished Burp Cloths and Coffee for New Parents





I am blessed to have a very creative and talented sister-in-law who is a graphic designer and crafter.  She wrote the post below about a creative birth gift she just sent to some close friends.
________________________________________________________________________

Our longtime friends just welcomed their first baby girl into this world and since we won't be able to visit for a little while, we wanted to send them a care package. I've heard that burp cloths come in very handy with newborns, plus they're an easy gift to make using fabric and pre-fold cloth diapers.

You will need:
-pre-fold cloth diapers (I prefer these: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2459691)
-fabric
-bias tape or ribbon
-sewing machine, iron, scissors or rotary cutter and measuring tape or ruler

I pretty much followed this useful tutorial online:

The only part that I changed was I omitted the decorative ribbon on the edges of the fabric and added bias tape at the top and bottom edges of the burp cloth since I thought they looked unfinished. I bought the widest bias tape I could find, folded it in half and sewed it onto the edges of my burp cloth, after I had sewn on the fabric.

Once they were sewn, ironed and folded, I packaged them up with our favorite Seattle coffee for the sleep-deprived new parents.




1 comment: